The Adventure Begins (Guidelines)…..
Snacks recommended, especially cheese
In our pilot programs, teachers created a 3 month implementation schedule. They believed, in order to fully integrate the concepts, students needed to “live” with the book and companion materials for 3 months. Using this model, we suggest the following plan:
- Explain the process to your students. ***see below
- Read the entire book or a portion of the book daily.
- Take time for the children to digest the material and imagine alternative stories.
- Select a Mouse Tag. 56 ideas for Goodness Sake. Tag your it. Pass it on.
- Teacher or children nominate a student each day that was “caught doing something good.”
- Amazing Mouse, included in the kit, sits on the desk of the honored student for the day.
- The honored student takes home a “Paws for a High Five” card to notify family members of their good deed.
- The class follows the 3 month progress of the Adventures of Amazing Mouse by using the “The Amazing Mouse Wall Poster.” There are blank spaces that allow for teach/student creativity to imagine a good deed.
- The honored student of the day to place their personalized Amazing mouse (cutout) on the board for the day. There is also an Ama
- Choose special days for The Art of being Nice, coloring pages showcasing Amazing Mouse.
- Plan the Party! Squeak with delight! Each child receives a Red Cape Club Certificate and Red Cape Club Card.
Conversation with Students
- We will read the book Better than Cheese every day.
- You will share your ideas about Amazing Mouse and his life.
- We will pick a Mouse Tag card and talk about what it means and how we can do it.
- We will cutout an Amazing Mouse for each child. You can personalize it by putting your name on the back and drawing something special. Pick your favorite colors. These student cutouts will be stored by the wall maze. (If they get lost or damaged, they can always make a new one)
- We will nominate someone for the Nice Mice award. Amazing Mouse will sit on that student’s desk for the day. If there are many nice students, amazing Mouse can make the rounds and spend some time on more than one desk per day (Teachers can nominate or students can share their thoughts and vote.)
- The student(s) selected for the Nice Mice award gets to place their personal Amazing Mouse on the Wall Maze for the day.
- I (teacher) will send a “Paw for a High Five” card home with the honored student.
- The Art of Being Nice is for special days and conversations about Goodness. Amazing Mouse coloring pages can be used and/or children can have time to draw a picture of goodness.
There are mouse riddles on the web site that can be introduced as a fun option to reinforce concepts and memory. The 10 values addressed in the Mouse Tags can be explained and reinforced by modeling the behavior, talking about the specific value, asking for examples and inviting children to go home and tell their parents the word for the day was respect, courage, listening, helpfulness etc. and sharing what they learned. When we complete our adventure every student will receive a Red Cape Certificate and Card.